Friday, November 19, 2010

Trip to the Food Co-op in Lowell




Today I went to the Food Coop in Bisbee. I have to drive there because it's down past the giant open pit mine. I went via the Bisbee Coffee Co. which is right in town across from the Post Office. They have good coffee here although I must admit, the smell of the roasting coffee is what really draws me in. They roast the coffee upstairs and when the wind is blowing just right, you can smell it all over Bisbee. 



The Food Co-op is on Erie Street in an area of Bisbee that is called Lowell. It used to be a thriving part of town way back when, with a movie theater, a gas station, a dime store and various other stores. Today there is not much there. The west end of Erie Street now ends with a giant drop off into the Lavender mine.  The mine is no longer active but the big pit is still there! I am told that much of Lowell has been bought up by the mining company, Freeport McMorran, but I don't know if that is really true. It does seem rather desolate.

Next to the Co-op is a place I have yet to go to. It is called the Bisbee Breakfast Club and they are open for breakfast and lunch a few days a week. Everyone says it is a great place to eat. I have driven by but can't really see inside very well.  One day I will have to go in - maybe when a relative comes to visit. Today I just visited the Co-op. I have to admit that I am a little unclear as to how the Co-op works but I know it is open to everyone, not just members.  I have been going because they have some stuff there that I just can't find anywhere else. They also have a great supplement selection. So, today, I decided I would join today since I have been several times and I thought I might benefit from the lower prices as a member. It cost me $12.

Today, bread was much cheaper as a member so I decided rather than pay $5 something for a loaf, I may as well join and get it for $3.50. My $12 membership is good for 6 months and I guess it would pay for itself with 5 loaves of bread. I've been buying this sprouted grain bread that is supposed to be healthy for you and they have a good selection of this bread at the Co-op. They also have a pretty good bulk food section and I also like their yogurt and organic milk. I bought all that stuff there and then continued on to Safeway to get the other things I needed and couldn't get at the Co-op.

This is looking back up Erie Street at Lowell on my way out. You can see the old Texaco sign. There are gas pumps there too but the bus is blocking them unfortunately. There are always cars on the street so people must be in some of the buildings.

One of my favorite things in Bisbee is the roundabout. I love it and every chance I get to, I go around it. It is great fun.  I just would love to zoom around that roundabout in a Mini. I might even go around twice. I think my sister would love it too. I know she loves roundabouts. Is that weird or does everyone love them as much as we do? It makes me feel like I'm on another continent when I drive around that thing.  The police station is right beside the roundabout so you can't really do anything too crazy. There are 4 exit roads to get off of the roundabout, one goes towards Sierra Vista/Hereford, another goes to Warren, the other goes to Douglas, and the other goes to Old Bisbee. There are signs telling drivers the roundabout is approaching.


Yes, I am driving and taking a photo but I was using the "live" mode rather than shooting through the viewfinder so it was actually safer than driving with a phone to my ear!That is the police station on the right. I hope they didn't see me driving and taking pictures! The sign gives you an idea of where you are going on the roundabout. It is funny because lots of people get to the roundabout and have no idea they are actually supposed to continue on and yield to the car on the left. They stop and look both ways. It is confusing for people when they have never seen them before. Once you get on the roundabout you can see the 4 directions marked by these N S E W metal sculptures. 


Here, you can see I am on the roundabout and passing the E. I don't really think the directions are particularly necessary but they are rather artistic, just like many things in Bisbee. One evening Paul and I were driving around the roundabout and a white tailed deer merged in front of me and then decided to just cross through the center rather than follow the traffic rules ;-). Silly deer, I hope the police didn't notice.




Posted by Picasa

1 comment: